Bacon, spinach and cheddar cheese puff pastry swirls, perfect for parties

What you need:
  • 1 sheet puff pastry, defrosted if it was frozen
  • A bag of fresh spinach, washed and chopped or torn
  • Optional salt and pepper
  • A few rashers of bacon, up to 1 packet
  • Grated or crumbled cheese, I just use mild grated cheddar, maybe 150g
  • An egg and brush if you want to brush the tops
I'll illustrate this or make a video or something at some point but I can't bake right now since I'm in an AirBnB, let me live vicariously through you and post an album in comments if you make this :P



1. I start with unrolling the puff pastry on top of the wire rack I cook it on (too lazy to buy a block of puff pastry, so I buy rolls), leaving it on top of the paper, then cut it in half such that I'm left with 2 approx square pieces of pastry rather than two longer thinner bits. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F, 200 degrees C (190 fan).

2. I then put the bacon rashers in the microwave for around 1-2 minutes until they are cooked (not crispy), while they're cooking I wash/tear apart the spinach, it doesn't need to be very small. You can then mix the spinach and cheese with some salt and pepper, and once the bacon is out cut it into pieces (maybe 1cm^2) and mix with the spinach and cheese. I don't bother mixing it just add the cheese and spinach onto the pastry then put bacon on when its ready.

3. Spread cheese, bacon and spinach evenly on the 2 puff pastry sheets. This doesn't need to be too accurate as if you overstuff the puff pastry you can eat whatever cheese and stuff is left on the sheet!

4. Starting from one side of  the cheese covered puff pastry, roll it up making a log/swiss roll of pastry. 

5. Once you have two rolls/logs of pastry and cheesy deliciousness, squeeze the rolls gently making sure there is no air in between the cheese/bacon/pastry, then cut them as if you are making sushi, and make approximately 3/4 inch thick slices. Once you have cut them into small slices arrange them on the parchment paper the roll came with or baking paper, with the cut side down. Make sure each swirly thing has some space around it to expand, for reference it should look something like the picture at the bottom of the page.

6. Bake in the oven for around 15 minutes or until the pastries are golden and delicious, whatever colour you like your baked goods to be.

7. Eat them all before anyone else can. I'm just kidding, take them out of the oven when they look amazing, cool them and put them in a lunchbox for tomorrow (when they're room temperature), or eat warm, I like them both ways.

Comments